GIVAT ADA (Heb. גִּבְעַת עָדָה), moshavah in central Israel on the slopes of the Manasseh Hills. Founded in 1903 by the Jewish Colonization Association (ica) on land purchased by Baron Edmond de Rothschild, after whose wife Ada (Adelaïde) it was named, it provided homesteads for the children of farmers from *Zikhron Ya'akov. The village's progress was very slow and it suffered from attacks during the Arab riots of 1920 and 1936–39. After World War ii additional families received land at Givat Ada, and after 1948, when the village received the status of a municipal council, new immigrants were absorbed, from Yemen, Hungary, Turkey, Romania, and other countries. In 1962–64 new immigrants from North Africa arrived. In 1968 Givat Ada had 1,330 inhabitants, in the mid-1990s approximately 1,510, and at the end of 2002, 2,540, on an area of 4.2 sq. mi. (11 sq. km.). The population's growth rate was a very high 4% per year, with its economy based on vineyards, fruit orchards, field and garden crops, and cattle. In 2003 the municipality of Givat Ada was united with the municipality of *Binyaminah.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]