Luray (lŏŏrā´), town (1990 pop. 4,587), seat of Page co., N Va., in the Shenandoah valley, in a farm area; inc. 1812. There is light manufacturing and the town is the headquarters of Shenandoah National Park. George Washington National Forest is nearby. The Luray Caverns there, discovered in 1878, are remarkable for the beauty and color of their large stalagmite and stalactite formations and pools. In a park adjoining the caverns there is a 47-bell carillon.