Lurago, Giovanni

views updated

Lurago, Giovanni (fl. 1548–71). Genoese sculp-tor and stone-mason, who carried out works in Alessi's Strada Nuova, notably the façade of the Palazzo Grimaldi (now Municipio) of 1564–6. His brother, Rocco (fl. 1558–97), has been credited with the design of the Palazzo del Municipio (built 1564–75), cleverly planned as a series of terraces built on the steep hillside joined by grand staircases, but documentary evidence proves that the architects were Domenico (fl. 1548–71) and Giovanni Ponzello (fl. 1549–96).


Jane Turner (1996);