Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
Steuart, George (c.1730–1806). Gaelic-speak-ing Highland-Scots architect. He worked for the 3rd and 4th Dukes of Atholl, for whom he designed a house in Grosvenor Place, London (1770—demolished). Most of his significant works are in Salop., where he designed in a refined and attenuated Neo-Classical style. His masterpieces are Attingham Park, near Shrewsbury (1783–5), and the ingenious Church of St Chad, Shrewsbury (1790–2), the latter with a circular galleried nave, an intermediate vestib-ule, a large and noble steeple, and an unfluted Roman Doric portico. It is one of the most original and pleasing of all Georgian churches. He also designed the Ionic temple at Millichope Park, Salop. (1770), Baronscourt, Co. Tyrone (1779–82—subsequently re-modelled by Soane and Morrison), All Saints' Parish Church, Wellington, Salop. (1787–9), the Court House, Ramsey, IoM (1798—demolished), and Castle Mona, Douglas, IoM (1801–6).
J. of the Manx Museum, vi (1962–3), 177–9;
W. Papworth (1887)