Graf, family of German musicians:
(1) Johann Graf, violinist and composer; b. Nuremberg (baptized), March 26, 1684; d. Rudolstadt, Feb. 2, 1750. He was a musician at the Deutschhauskirche in Nuremberg in his youth, and then studied violin and composition in Vienna. He served in the court bands in Mainz and Bamberg before being named Konzertmeister at the Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt court in 1722, where, from 1739, he was Kapellmeister. He wrote several violin sonatas and string quartets. He had 2 sons who were musicians.
(2) Christian Ernst Graf, violinist and composer; b. Rudolstadt, June 30, 1723; d. The Hague, July 17, 1804. He received training from his father, upon whose death he succeeded as Kapellmeister at the SchwarzburgRudolstadt court. In 1765 he was made Kapellmeister to Prince William of Orange at The Hague. Among his works were a Sym., a Violin Concerto, a Cello Concerto, chamber music, keyboard pieces, and songs.
(3) Friedrich Hartmann Graf, flutist and composer;b. Rudolstadt, Aug. 23, 1727; d. Augsburg, Aug. 19, 1795. He studied flute and composition with his father and timpani with Käsemann. After service as a military musician, he launched a career as a flutist in 1759. He was director of public concerts in Hamburg (1761-65), and then toured as a flute virtuoso. Following service at The Hague court (1769-72), he was made director of the Protestant Church and of St. Anna’s Gymnasium in Augsburg in 1772. In 1783-84 he visited London, where he was co-director (with Wilhelm Cramer) of the Professional Concerts. In 1779 he was made a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Music in Stockholm and in 1789 he was awarded an honorary doctorate in music by the Univ. of Oxford. He composed 2 syms., several flute concertos, 2 oratorios, 3 cantatas, and much chamber music.
—Laura Kuhn/Dennis McIntire