Poor Sisters of Jesus Crucified and the Sorrowful Mother
POOR SISTERS OF JESUS CRUCIFIED AND THE SORROWFUL MOTHER
A diocesan congregation (CJC; Official Catholic Directory 3240) founded in Pennsylvaniaby the Lithuanian Passionist priest, Rev. Alphonsus Maria Urbanavicius, C.P., for works of charity among newly arrived coalmining families. The congregation is familiarly known as the "Sisters of Jesus Crucified." The principal patrons of the community are the Sorrowful Mother, St. Joseph, and St. Paul of the Cross. The congregation was begun in 1924 in the Diocese of Scranton, Pa., where its pioneer members received initial training under the guidance ofthe Sister Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The novitiate and motherhouse were established at Saint Mary's Villa, Elmhurst, Pa. With the gradual increase of members, the sisters began to teach the youth and nurse the aged in the states of Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, and later in Kansas, Connecticut, and New York. In 1945, in response to the invitation of Archbishop Richard J. Cushing, the motherhouse was transferred to the Archdiocese of Boston. The New headquarters and the novitiate were established at Our Lady of Sorrows Convent, Brockton, Mass. In the mid-1960s, the congregation reached its peak membership of over 100professed members. Even though the number of professed sisters has fallen, they still carry on the mission of the congregation: to extend the love and compassion of Jesus Crucified. The congregation conductshealthcare facilities, St. Mary's Villa Nursing Home and St. Mary's Villa Residence, in Elmhurst, Pa. In association with Covenant Health Systems, the Sisters of Jesus Crucified sponsor St. Joseph Manor Health Care, Inc. and Mater Dei Adult Day Care in Brockton, Mass.
[s. e. glineckis]