Jutta of Fuchsstadt, Bl.
JUTTA OF FUCHSSTADT, BL.
Cistercian abbess; d. c. 1250. She lived at Essleben in an independent community of pious women who, wishing to order their religious life according to a rule, obtained permission from the bishop of Würzburg to found the Cistercian convent of Heiligenthal (Lower Franconia). Jutta (or Julitta) served as its first abbess (1234–50). She was buried before the high altar of the convent church, to which many made pilgrimages. Her grave was opened with the approval of the bishop in 1664 and again in 1897. Her most striking relic was an arm to which was attached a golden cup from which the sick drank and were cured; it came into the possession of Julius Hospital in Würzburg in 1579, but is now lost.
Feast: Nov. 29.
Bibliography: m. wieland, "Kloster Heiligenthal," Cistercienser-Chronik 124 (1899) 161–164; 125 (1899) 201–202. a. m. zimmermann, Kalendarium Benedictinum: Die Heiligen und Seligen des Benediktinerorderns und seiner Zweige 3:372, 373. s. lenssen, Hagiologium cisterciense 1:313. e. krausen, Die Klöster des Zisterzienserordens in Bayern (Bayerische Heimatforschung 7; Munich 1953) 48.