KNOX, FORT. In 1918 an army camp named Camp Knox, for General Henry T. Knox, was established in Kentucky, thirty-one miles southwest of Louisville. Made permanent in 1932 as Fort Knox, the post became the main repository of U.S. gold in 1937. More than 140 million ounces of gold, worth billions of dollars, are kept in the U.S. Bullion Depository, a two-story granite, steel, and concrete vault managed by the Treasury Department. The 109,000-acre army installation at Fort Knox also includes an artillery training school, the Godman Army Air Field, and the Patton Museum.
Truscott, Lucian K., Jr. The Twilight of the U. S. Cavalry: Life in the Old Army, 1917–1942. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 1989.