Fort Galphin, South Carolina

Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article Share Article
views updated

Fort Galphin, South Carolina

FORT GALPHIN, SOUTH CAROLINA. 21 May 1781. When Colonel Henry Lee moved from Fort Granby to link up with the militia forces of General Andrew Pickens besieging Augusta, he learned that a quantity of British supplies were temporarily stored at Fort Galphin, a small stockade twelve miles below Augusta that was the home of George Galphin, the deputy superintendent of Indian affairs, and garrisoned by two companies of infantry. These supplies were the annual king's present to his loyal Indians. Mounting some of his Legion infantry double behind a select group of cavalrymen, Lee made a forced march and reached his objective on the afternoon of the 21st. Lee had part of his force make a feint against the position from one direction, and when the defenders sallied forth, Major John Rudolph rushed in from the other side with a detachment of Legion infantry. The nearly two hundred Loyalist defenders surrendered without a fight, and Lee captured the fort and its supplies, which included blankets, clothing, small arms, ammunition, medical stores, and provisions, all of which the rebels needed. Having lost only one man to heat prostration in this coup de main against a strong point, Lee withdrew.

SEE ALSO Augusta, Georgia (22 May-5 June 1781); Fort Granby, South Carolina.

                          revised by Michael Bellesiles

More From Encyclopedia.com


You Might Also Like