FORT GAGE. Two small forts were called Fort Gage in this period, both named after Major General Thomas Gage. In 1758 the British built Fort George at the head of Lake George to replace Fort William Henry, which the French had besieged and burned in August 1757. Fort Gage was a small earthwork built in 1759 a half-mile south of Fort George. A second Fort Gage was located in Kaskaskia, Illinois, and was captured 4 July 1778 by Virginia state forces under the command of George Rogers Clark.
revised by Harold E. Selesky