668. Unselfishness (See also Dedication.)
- Arden, Enoch returned castaway; keeps identity secret from wife to preserve her “new life” happiness. [Br. Lit.: Enoch Arden ]
- Bartholomea Capitanio and Vincentia Gerosa, Sts. founded order to nurse sick, teach young. [Christian Hagiog.: Attwater, 58]
- Bergerac, Cyrano de composed eloquent love letters for another. [Fr. Lit.: Cyrano de Bergerac ]
- Carton, Sydney allows himself to be guillotined in place of Charles Darnay. [Br. Lit.: Dickens A Tale of Two Cities ]
- Cratchit, Bob ill-paid clerk; uncomplainingly supports large family. [Br. Lit.: A Christmas Carol ]
- Goriot, Père generosity to daughters caused his own poverty. [Fr. Lit.: Père Goriot ]
"Unselfishness." Allusions--Cultural, Literary, Biblical, and Historical: A Thematic Dictionary. . Encyclopedia.com. (September 20, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/unselfishness
"Unselfishness." Allusions--Cultural, Literary, Biblical, and Historical: A Thematic Dictionary. . Retrieved September 20, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/unselfishness
Encyclopedia.com gives you the ability to cite reference entries and articles according to common styles from the Modern Language Association (MLA), The Chicago Manual of Style, and the American Psychological Association (APA).
Within the “Cite this article” tool, pick a style to see how all available information looks when formatted according to that style. Then, copy and paste the text into your bibliography or works cited list.
Because each style has its own formatting nuances that evolve over time and not all information is available for every reference entry or article, Encyclopedia.com cannot guarantee each citation it generates. Therefore, it’s best to use Encyclopedia.com citations as a starting point before checking the style against your school or publication’s requirements and the most-recent information available at these sites:
Modern Language Association
The Chicago Manual of Style
American Psychological Association
- Most online reference entries and articles do not have page numbers. Therefore, that information is unavailable for most Encyclopedia.com content. However, the date of retrieval is often important. Refer to each style’s convention regarding the best way to format page numbers and retrieval dates.
- In addition to the MLA, Chicago, and APA styles, your school, university, publication, or institution may have its own requirements for citations. Therefore, be sure to refer to those guidelines when editing your bibliography or works cited list.