Benedictine abbey outside Gloucester, southwest England. Anglican Benedictines under Aelred Carlyle (d.1956) settled on Caldey Island (1906 and 1913); and, together with the nuns' Abbey of St. Bride, converted to Catholicism in 1913. They continued as Benedictines, but their conversion occasioned a decline in their material resources. caldey (now a Trappist abbey) was sold, and the Benedictines moved to Prinknash Park, given to them by Thomas Dyer-Edwardes (1928). Under Abbot Wilfrid Upson (1938–61) Prinknash flourished and founded priories at farnborough and pluscarden (Scotland).
Bibliography: p. f. anson, The Benedictines of Caldey (London 1940); The Call of the Cloister (rev. ed. London 1964). o. l. kapsner, A Benedictine Bibliography: An Author-Subject Union List, 2 v. (2d ed. Collegeville, Minn. 1962) 2:250–251.
"Prinknash Abbey." New Catholic Encyclopedia. . Encyclopedia.com. (November 15, 2018). https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/prinknash-abbey
"Prinknash Abbey." New Catholic Encyclopedia. . Retrieved November 15, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/prinknash-abbey