KIRYAT MOTZKIN (Heb. קִריַת מוֹצְקִין), urban community in the Haifa Bay area in Israel, founded in 1934 as part of the residential zone north of the Bay area allocated for industry. Its name commemorates Leo *Motzkin.
The first settlers, the majority of whom came from Eastern Europe, lived in one- and two-family houses with gardens. Kiryat Motzkin's layout was gradually superseded by large apartment houses as the population grew from a few hundred at the end of the 1930s to 3,700 in 1948, reaching 13,800 in 1969. In 1976 Kiryat Motzkin received city status; its area was expanded to 1.2 sq. mi. (3.1 sq. km.). In the mid-1990s the population was approximately 33,400, increasing to 39,400 in 2002. Kiryat Motzkin is the commercial center of the "Kerayot" area.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]