Schwäbisch Gmünd (shvĕb´Ĭsh gəmünt´) or Gmünd, city (1994 pop. 63,701), Baden-Württemberg, S Germany, on the Rems River, at the northern foot of the Swabian Jura Mts. It has long been known as a gold-working and silver-working center; other manufactures include machinery and glass. Founded by the mid-12th cent., Schwäbisch Gmünd was a free imperial city from 1268 until 1803, when it passed to Württemberg. Noteworthy buildings include the city hall (1783–85) and the St. Johanniskirche (1210–30), a late Romanesque church.