national portrait galleries
The Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh was founded in 1882 with endowments from the owner of the Scotsman newspaper, J. R. Findlay. The building on Queen Street houses portraits of eminent Scots, antiquities, and the national photography collection. A permanent exhibition portrays the history of the royal house of Stewart in portrait and artefact and includes a pastel of Prince Charles Edward (‘Bonnie Prince Charlie’) by de la Tour acquired in 1994 with help from the National Art Collections Fund. Since 1983, with a painting of QueenElizabeth, the queen mother, the gallery has commissioned works direct.
"national portrait galleries." The Oxford Companion to British History. . Encyclopedia.com. (August 16, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/history/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/national-portrait-galleries
"national portrait galleries." The Oxford Companion to British History. . Retrieved August 16, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/history/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/national-portrait-galleries