Tibaldi, Marchese di Valsolda, Pellegrino

Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article Share Article
views updated

Tibaldi, Marchese di Valsolda, Pellegrino or Pellegrini (1527–96). Bolognese architect and painter. His earliest building appears to have been the Cappella Poggi in San Giacomo Maggiore, Bologna (1556–8), after which he worked on the fortifications at Ancona. Around 1562 he moved to Milan under the aegis of Charles Borromeo (1538–84), Archbishop of Milan (from 1564), canonized 1610. He designed the Collegio Borromeo, Pavia (1564–92—with its elegant two-storeyed cortile, a more austere and lighter version of Alessi's Palazzo Marino), and the Cortile della Canonica in the Archiepiscopal Palace, Milan (1565–75). Other works include the circular Votive Church of San Sebastiano (1577–1617), the Jesuit Church of San Fedele (from 1569), the choir-crypt and screens in the Cathedral (1567), all in Milan, and the powerfully articulated façade of the Sanctuario della Madonna dei Miracoli, Saronno (1583). He carried out major schemes of decoration at the Escorial, Spain, from 1586. His brother, Domenico (1541–83), reconstructed the choir of the Cathedral of San Pietro, and designed the Magnani palazzo (1560s and 1570s), both in Bologna.

Bibliography

Heydenreich (1996);
P. Murray (1986);
Placzek (ed.) (1982);
Panizza et al. (1990);
Jane Turner (1996);
S. D. Torre (1994)