He was an important and influential teacher, and the 1914–18 war affected him deeply, moving his interests towards the creation of small towns and communities and drawing on craft-orientated buildings. In 1930–1 he converted Schinkel's guard-house (Neue Wache) on the Unter den Linden, Berlin, into a memorial to the dead of the 1914–18 war. He found it difficult to practise under the Nazi regime, but after the 1939–45 war he resumed teaching in Berlin and concerned himself with the reconstruction of old town centres, notably Lübeck (1947). He was a prolific writer, and interest in his architecture has grown since a major exhibition devoted to him in 1961, influencing Grassi and other protagonists of Rational architecture. Among his pupils was Speer.
K-P. Arnold (1991);
J. Campbell (1978);
K&K, xv (1917), 32–6, xxiv (1925), 55–60;
Jane Turner (1996);
Tessenow (1919, 1921, 1927, 1991);
Wangerin & and G. Weiss (1976);
Wasmuths Monatshefte für Baukunst, ix (1925), 365–81