Burgh, Thomas

views updated

Burgh, Thomas (1630–1730). Irish military engineer, who worked under Surveyor-General William Robinson, succeeding him in 1700. His buildings in Dublin include the Custom House (from 1704, demolished 1815), the Library at Trinity College (1709–33), the Royal Barracks (1701–7), various other buildings at Trinity, and Dr Steevens's Hospital (from 1718). His only essay in tentative Palladianism seems to have been at his own house at Oldtown, Co. Kildare (c.1715).


M. Craig (1969, 1982);
Loeber (1981);
McParland (2001)