Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood
MISSIONARY SISTERS OF THE PRECIOUS BLOOD
Founded in the Republic of South Africa by Abbot Franz pfanner (Missionales a Pretiosissimo Sanguine, CPS, Official Catholic Directory #2850), its nucleus was a group of five lay apostles whom Pfanner invited in 1885 to instruct young girls at Mariannhill monastery in Natal. Papal approval came in 1906. According to the founder's wish, the sisters are expected to accept missionary assignments throughout the world. Besides teaching, nursing, and healthcare, the sisters perform a variety of social and charitable works. The sisters established their first foundation in the United States in Princeton, NJ, in 1925. The U.S. provincialate is in Reading, PA. The motherhouse is in Rome.
Bibliography: j. m. behen, ed., Religious of the Precious Blood (Carthagena, Ohio 1957).
[e. m. kremer/eds.]