Missionary Sisters of our Lady of Africa
MISSIONARY SISTERS OF OUR LADY OF AFRICA
(MSOLA, Official Catholic Directory #2820); formerly known as the "White Sisters," a congregation with papal approbation founded, 1869 in Algiers, North Africa, by Charles lavigerie (later cardinal) and Mother Marie Salome. The sisters follow the Rule of St. Ignatius of Loyola and engage in various mission activities in Africa. They seek especially to serve the spiritual and material welfare of African women through catechetical, social, medical, educational, and cultural works, and through the training of African religious. Though of diverse nationality, race, background, and education, the sisters work together with a readiness to adapt to changing times and circumstances and with the same spirit of faith and missionary zeal exemplified by their founders. The sisters came to the U.S. in 1929 and have their headquarters in Winooski, VT. The generalate is in Rome.
[j. c. caron/eds.]