CAROL, ARYEH (1923– ), Israeli official and activist. Carol was born in the town of Holofonitchi near Minsk in Belarus and immigrated to Israel in 1935 with his mother. In 1941 he was one of the founders of religious army group (garʿin) that participated in security actions in the Bet-Shean valley. In 1946 he commanded the Biriyyah camp and in 1947 he was named to the national executive of the Bnei Akiva movement. In the same year he helped found Kibbutz Sa'ad, and later served twice as kibbutz coordinator (1951–56, 1959–63). From 1963 to 1967 he was the chief executive of Sahar ha-Negev Industries. In 1966 he was sent to the U.S.S.R. to develop connections with the Jewish people there. From 1968 to 1987 he was in charge of clandestine Jewish activity in the U.S.S.R. In 1987 he was named chairman of Ha-Kibbutz ha-Dati movement. In 1989 he was one of the founders of the First House project in the kibbutz movement, aimed at absorbing new immigrants in kibbutzim. From 1991 he was the coordinator of Bnei Akiva activities in former Soviet Unions countries. In 2000 he was awarded Israel Prize for special contribution, in recognition of his important work in strengthening the ties between Israel and the Jews in the U.S.S.R. under Communist rule.
[Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]