BARKAI (Heb. בַּרְקַאי; "first morning light"), kibbutz in central Israel, at the western entrance of the Iron Valley, affiliated with Kibbutz Arẓi ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir. It was founded on May 10, 1949, by pioneers from North America, joined later by newcomers from Romania and from English-speaking and other countries. In the mid-1990s the population was approximately 500, and by the end of 2002 it had decreased to 327. Farm branches included dairy cattle, poultry, avocado plantations, and field crops. The kibbutz runs a factory for polyethylene products.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]