Ahram, Al- (The Pyramids)
AHRAM, AL- (The pyramids)
The principal Egyptian Arabic newspaper, al-Ahram was started in 1876 by Syrian-Lebanese Christian immigrants to Egypt. Nationalized by the government in 1952, it became an official government newspaper. The first Egyptian editor, Muhammad Hassanein Heikal, assumed the directorship of the paper in 1957. Al-Ahram remains a pro-government newspaper, and has had both an English edition (al-Ahram) and a French edition (al-Ahram Hebdo) since 1994.