drug addiction Psychological or physical dependence on a drug. Physical addiction is often manifested by symptoms of withdrawal. Long-term drug use often produces tolerance. Physical addiction has only been medically proven for narcotics (such as heroin), depressants (such as barbiturates or alcohol) and some stimulants (such as nicotine). Other drugs, such as hallucinogens or hashish, are not thought to be physically addictive, but can produce psychosis or paranoia. Two of the most common addictions are alcohol and nicotine, since these are easily available. Unlike narcotics, alcohol is physically harmful, especially to the brain and liver, and cigarette smoking annually accounts for more than 100,000 premature deaths in the United Kingdom alone. In comparison, addiction to ‘hard’ drugs (such as heroin or cocaine) is not common, but drug-related crime makes up a significant percentage of crime statistics in many countries.
198. Drug Addiction
- Confessions of an English Opium-Eater Thomas de Quincy tells of his opium addiction, his nightmarish experiences, and the sufferings of withdrawal. [Br. Lit.: Haydn & Fuller, 155]
- Holmes, Sherlock the famous sleuth, addicted to cocaine. [Br. Lit.: Benét, 473]
- Man with the Golden Arm, The Chicagoan Frankie Machine, a failure, takes to morphine, murders his supplier, and hangs himself. [Am. Lit.: Benét, 632]
- Tyrone, Mary addicted to morphine after childbirth, thanks to her husband’s choice of a quack doctor. [Am. Lit.: O’Neill Long Day’s Journey into Night in Sobel, 431]
- Valley of the Dolls portrays self-destruction of drug addicted starlets. [Am. Lit.: Valley of the Dolls ]
DRUG ADDICTION. SeeSubstance Abuse .
More From encyclopedia.com
Psychotropic Drugs , Psychoactive drugs are a class of chemical substances that act on the central nervous system and can alter behavior and cognition . All psychoactive… Club Drugs , Clubs and rave scenes have been a popular part of American and European youth culture since the 1990s. The drugs people take as part of the club expe… Benzodiazepine , What Kind of Drug Is It? Benzodiazepines (pronounced ben-zoh-die-AZ-uh-peens) are depressants that relieve anxiety. Their names are easy to recognize… Amphetamines , Amphetamines are a group of nervous system stimulants that includes amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, and methamphetamine. They are used to induce a st… Dextroamphetamine , Dextroamphetamine What Kind of Drug Is It? Dextroamphetamines are stimulants—substances that increase the activity of a living organism or one of its… Benzodiazepines , Benzodiazepines belong to a class of drugs with sedative and hypnotic properties. The principal use of this class of drugs is to produce drowsiness a…
About this article
All Sources -
Updated Aug 08 2016 About encyclopedia.com content Print Topic
You Might Also Like