Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
Lady-chapel. Chapel in a larger church, expressly for venerating the Virgin Mary, often situated to the east of the chancel or choir, as in Westminster Abbey (1503–c.1512) and Hereford Cathedral (c.1220–40), but in parish or other churches often to the east of one or other chancel-aisle. At Long Melford, Suffolk, the Lady Chapel (1496) is virtually a separate building to the east of the church proper. Even grander is the chapel at Ely Cathedral, Cambs. (c.1321–53), a huge rectangular Second Pointed building to the north of the choir, mostly free-standing, but entered via the north transept.