Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
Hardwick, Philip (1792–1870). English architect, he commenced practice with his father, Thomas (1752–1829), who had been a pupil of Chambers and later designed St Marylebone Parish Church, London (1813–17). Philip held several official posts, and was a competent and eclectic designer in various styles. He is best known for the nobly monumental Doric propylaeum at Euston Station, London (1836–40—needlessly demolished 1962), but he was capable of a remarkably plain, robust Neo-Classicism, as in his utilitarian brick St Katharine's Docks and Warehouses, London (1827–9). His Tuscan Dock Traffic Office, Albert Dock, Liverpool (1846–7), is a powerful design, and he also collaborated with Jesse Hartley on the designs of the warehouses there. His Goldsmiths' Hall, Foster Lane (1829–35), and City Club, Old Broad Street (1833–4), both in London, are typical of his robust Baroque and Classical styles. With his son, P. C. Hardwick, he was responsible for the Tudor Gothic Hall and Library, Lincoln's Inn, London (1843–5), an accomplished design for its date, on which the young Pearson also worked.
Dixon & and Muthesius (1985);
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (2004);