50. Bodily Functions
See also 51. BODY, HUMAN .
- the process or act of swallowing.
- the shedding of the superficial epithelium, as of skin, the mucous membranes, etc.
- sweating, especially when artificially induced. —diaphoretic, adj.
- the contraction of the alimentary canal in a downward direction as part of peristalsis.
- an abnormally heavy or increased discharge or flow of urine. —diuretic, n., adj.
- 1. the process of discharging waste matter from the body.
- 2. the matter discharged.
- 1. the process of belching.
- 2. that which is regurgitated in belching.
- the natural process of eliminating bodily wastes in the feces and urine.
- the bodily process of producing milk.
- 1. the act of tasting.
- 2. the sense of taste.
- the process by which food or other matter is taken into the body and converted into tissue. Also introsusception. —intussusceptive, adj.
- lachrymation, Iacrimation
- the act or process of shedding tears; weeping.
- 1. the secretion of milk by a mammary gland.
- 2. the period during which secretion takes place.
- the act or process of chewing or eating. —manducatory, adj.
- urination. —micturate, v.
- 1. the sense of smell.
- 2. the act of smelling. —olfactory, olfactive, adj.
- the act of yawning, as from fatigue or sleepiness.
- the process by which bone tissue is broken down and absorbed by the body. See also 52. BONES .
- the process of yawning and stretching.
- abnormally excessive perspiration.
- the process of contraction and relaxation by which products are moved through the alimentary canal. Cf. diastalsis. —peristaltic, adj.
- the passing of an abornomally large amount of urine. —polyuric, adj.
- the breaking down or hydrolysis of proteins into simpler compounds, as in digestion. —proteolytic, adj.
- the primary system or process of digestion.
- purulence, purulency
- 1. the state or condition of containing or secreting pus.
- 2. the production or generation of pus or similar matter. —purulent, adj.
- a burning feeling in the stomach and esophagus, sometimes accompanied by the belching of acid fluid; heartburn.
- Rare. the process of secretion. —secement, n., adj.
- a medicine or substance that stimulates the flow of saliva. —sialagogic, n., adj.
- sialorrhea, sialorrhoea
- the act or process of salivation.
- cessation in the flow of any of the bodily fluids, as the blood.
- 1. the act of sneezing.
- 2. a sneeze. —sternutative, sternutatory, adj.
- the act or process of oozing or exuding or being exuded, as the process by which sweat passes through pores. —transudatory, adj.
- the process of expelling fluids from the body in the urine.
- the act or process of vomiting.
- repeated but unsuccessful attempts to vomit; retching or slight vomiting.
More From encyclopedia.com
Procession , PROCESSION is the linearly ordered, solemn movement of a group through chartered space to a known destination to give witness, bear an esteemed objec… Process , Process The term process is used extensively from within different perspectives, not all of which fall within the scope of psychoanalysis. The concep… Mastoid , mastoid •avoid, Boyd, Coed, droid, Floyd, Freud, Lloyd, overjoyed, self-employed, unalloyed, underemployed, unemployed, void •geoid • amoeboid (US am… Flocculation , flocculation A process in which clay and other soil particles adhere to form larger groupings or aggregates, thereby coarsening the soil texture and… Process Control , Process control encompasses the means by which tasks are accomplished by industries, machines, or organisms. Process control mechanisms are found in… Fluvial Processes , fluvial processes The set of mechanisms that operate as a result of water flow within (and at times beyond) a stream channel, bringing about the eros…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
You Might Also Like