Sisters, Faithful Companions of Jesus
SISTERS, FAITHFUL COMPANIONS OF JESUS
(FCJ, Official Catholic Directory #4048); a congregation with papal approbation, founded in Amiens, France, in 1820 by Marie Madeleine Victoire de Bonnault d'Houet, née De Bengy. Following the death of her husband in 1805, Madame d'Houet devoted herself to raising her son and contemplated founding a religious community for the education of children. With the help of three companions, her plan began to materialize in 1820. By the time of her death in 1858, 20 houses had been established, and her community gradually spread to England, Switzerland, Italy, Scotland, Ireland, and Belgium. At the end of the 19th century the sisters had extended their work to North America and Australia. From Canada, where the sisters were working in the native missions of the Northwest, they came to the U.S. in 1896 and established themselves in Fitchburg, MA. Two more foundations were later made in Rhode Island. The generalate is in Broadstairs, Kent, England. The U.S. provincialate is in Portsmouth, RI.