SHADMOT DEVORAH (Heb. שַׁדְמוֹת דְּבוֹרָה), moshav in northern Israel, northeast of Kefar Tavor, affiliated with Tenu'at ha-Moshavim. It was founded in May 1939, a few weeks after the publication of the anti-Zionist White Paper by the British government. The founders, originally from Germany, had first settled in a moshav shittuffi, *Moledet, but left to establish the moshav, Shadmot Devorah. In 1970 the moshav had 166 inhabitants; in 2002, 367. Its economy was based on field crops, fruit orchards, and dairy cattle. Devorat ha-Tavor, a silk- and honey-production visitors center is located in the moshav. Shadmot Devorah ("fields of Devorah") is named for Dorothy (d. 1988; Devorah), wife of James de *Rothschild.
[Efram Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]