Saint-Hubert, Abbey of
SAINT-HUBERT, ABBEY OF
Monastery in the Ardennes in Belgian Luxembourg (originally Andagium ). It was founded c. 704 by St. Beregis, the chaplain of Pepin of Heristal, as an abbey of Augustinian canons, and was reformed by Bishop Walcaud of Liège (d. 836), who introduced Benedictine monks and brought the body of St. hubert of maastricht to the abbey. It was reformed by Bishop Richar in 942. The abbey was brought into the investiture struggle by Bishop Otbert, then reformed in 1618 by the Congregation of St. Vanne (see verdun-sur-meuse, abbey of), and suppressed in 1796. The present late-Gothic abbey church was built between 1525 and 1564. The heavy, baroque façade was added in 1700. It was raised to the rank of minor basilica in 1927, and is today a parish church visited by many pilgrims because of the tomb of St. Hubert. The abbey buildings, rebuilt after 1729, are now occupied by a state-supported school.
Bibliography: Chronicon sancti Huberti Andaginensis usque ad a. 1106, ed. l. c. bethmann and w. wattenbach, Monumenta Germaniae Scriptores (Berlin 1826–) 8:565–630. Chartes de l'Abbaye de Saint-Hubert en Ardenne, ed. g. kurth (Brussels 1903-). p. clemen, ed., Belgische Kunstdenkmäter, 2 v. (Munich 1923). l. h. cottineau, Répertoire topobibliographique des abbayes et prieurés, 2 v. (Mâcon 1935–39) 2:2731–32. É. poumon, Abbayes de Belgique (Brussels 1954).
[j. c. moore]