Saint-Gildas-de-Rhuys, Abbey of
SAINT-GILDAS-DE-RHUYS, ABBEY OF
Former benedictine monastery in the Diocese and arrondissement of Vannes, Commune Sarzeau (Morbihan), France (Lat. S. Gildasius, Ruyense, or S. Gustanus de Revisio ). The abbey, founded in the 6th century by (St.) gildas the "wise," the first abbot, was destroyed during the norman invasions, and the reliquary of St. Gildas, according to tradition, was transferred to Bourg-Dieu-sur-l'Indre c. 919. In 1008 the Abbey of Rhuys was restored by fleury, and c. 1032 its church was consecrated. abelard was made abbot there in 1125, but had to renounce the office in 1129. Rhuys was at that time a fairly important monastery on which depended the priories of Auray, Gâvre, Taupont, Locminé, Locmaria, Saint-Sauveur de Châteauroux, Arz, Quiberon, Argenton-sur-Creuse (Diocese of Bourges), etc. By 1625, however, the abbey was in a deplorable condition; in 1649 it was incorporated into the Congregation of Saint-Maur (see maurists). In 1768 only nine religious were left at the abbey. In 1772 the abbey's revenues were united to the bishopric of Vannes. There were only four monks left when the abbey was suppressed during the French Revolution. The abbey church became a parish church of Sarzeau, and the cloister buildings became the mother-house of the Sisters of Charity of Saint-Louis.
Bibliography: Archives of Morbihan has ten registers and 42 files on the abbey. Gallia Christiana, v.1–13 (Paris 1715–85),v.14–16 (Paris 1856–65) 14:958–965. Chronicon Ruyense, 1008–1291 in g. a. lobineau, Histoire de Bretagne, 2 v. (Paris 1707) v.2. j. l. baudot and l. chaussin, Vies des saints et des bienheueux selon l'ordre du calendrier avec l'historique des fêtes, ed. by The Benedictines of Paris, 12 v. (Paris 1935–56) 1:583–585. j. fonssagrives, "Saint-Gildas-de-Rhuys," Congrès archéologique de France 81 (1914) 356–378. l. h. cottineau, Répertoire topobibliographique des abbayes et prieurés, 2 v. (Mâcon 1935–39) 2:2713–15.
[j. de la c. bouton]