NEVEH YAM (Heb. נְוֵה יָם; "Sea Dwelling"), kibbutz in northern Israel, on the Carmel Coast near Athlit, affiliated with Iḥud ha-Kevuẓot ve-ha-Kibbutzim. Neveh Yam was founded in 1939 by a pioneer group, Ma'pilim-Gordonia, from Poland, which had received training in seafaring in the Polish port of Gdynia; they were joined by immigrants from Austria and Czechoslovakia. The kibbutz sought to develop sea fishing and aid "*illegal" immigration. Farming was at first only a sideline, but after 1948 became the mainstay of the kibbutz's economy, in addition to a guest house and a fish-canning factory. Fishing, however, was discontinued. In 1968 Neveh Yam had 130 inhabitants. In 2002 its population was 178. In the 1990s the kibbutz underwent a severe economic crisis. Its sources of livelihood in the early 2000s were a holiday village, field crops, and a fishery.
At the end of 2002 the population of Neveh Yam was 188 residents.
[Efram Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]