NEVEH EITAN (Heb. נְוֵה אֵיתָן; "Habitation of the Strong"), kibbutz in central Israel in the Beth-Shean Valley, affiliated with Iḥud ha-Kevuẓot ve-ha-Kibbutzim. It was founded in 1938 as a tower and stockade settlement, after the group, which had originated from Poland, had participated in setting up neighboring *Ma'oz Ḥayyim and had lived there for several months. Farming at Neveh Eitan was intensive and irrigated, comprising field crops (e.g., cotton), dairy cattle, and carp ponds. The kibbutz also operated a plastics factory and guest rooms. The name is based on a passage in Jeremiah 49:19. In 1968 its population was 250, dropping to 172 in 2002.
[Efram Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]