NAḤALAT YEHUDAH (Heb. נַחֲלַת יְהוּדָה), urban community with municipal council status, on the Coastal Plain of Israel near Rishon le-Zion, founded in 1914 as a moshavah by members of the Ḥibbat Zion movement of Russia. Naḥalat Yehudah was characterized by auxiliary farmsteads whose owners were employed in Rishon le-Zion or in Jaffa and Tel aviv. After 1948 an immigrant camp (ma'barah) was established in Naḥalat Yehudah's municipal area, increasing its population to over 5,000. The new immigrants were later given permanent housing in other localities, so that the population decreased to 2,350 (1969). Although a number of industrial enterprises existed in Naḥalat Yehudah, many inhabitants were employedin other communities in the Tel aviv conurbation. Subsequently Naḥalat Yehudah became part of Rishon le-Zion and its name was given to a *wizo youth village accommodating approximately 300 students. The youth village had originally been founded in 1922 as a workers farm training women in various farm branches. After the establishment of the State of Israel it became an agriculture high school with a dormitory. The name Naḥalat Yehudah commemorates Judah Leib*Pinsker.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]