MANDL, SAADIA (1931– ), architect. Born in Novi Sad, Yugoslavia, he arrived in Palestine in 1938. He studied at École des Beaux Arts, Paris, and at the Archeology School, London, spending his internship period in Rome, Paris, and Stockholm.
In 1960 he opened an independent office in Haifa; during 1968/9 he resided in Jerusalem, where he held the position of dean of the Bezalel Art School. In later years he worked from Tel Aviv / (Old) Jaffa, which he helped to reconstruct. For his achievements he was awarded the Rokach Prize. He was chief architect of the Caesarea Development Corporation and from 1965 served as chairman of the Council for the Preservation of the Architectural Heritage. For his projects in Jerusalem, he received the Uri Rozen Prize, together with Yaari and Fraenkel, and the Sandberg Prize, together with Eli Gross, "for the renewal of the Neveh Sha'anan quarter."
Mandl was considered one of the outstanding modern architects of Israel.
[Zvi Loker (2nd ed.)]