GAN SHEMU'EL (Heb. גַּן שְׁמוּאֵל), kibbutz in central Israel near *Ḥaderah, affiliated with Kibbutz Arẓi ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir. Members of Odessa's Ḥovevei Zion first settled there in 1884, laying out plantations of etrogim ("citrons"). They named the place "Samuel's Garden" after Samuel *Mohilever. In 1912 a laborers' group settled there temporarily, and in 1921 settlers from Eastern Europe took over. In 1968 Gan Shemu'el had 700 inhabitants, and in 2002 a total of 827. The kibbutz's economy has been based on intensive farming (fieldcrops, orchards, dairy cattle, fishery, turkeys, and ducks) and a food preserves factory.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]