DORON, HAIM (1928– ), Israeli physician. Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, he immigrated to Israel in 1953. He received his M.D. from the School of Medicine of the Buenos Aires University (1952) and M.P.H. from Public Health School, London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, University of London, in 1961. From 1953 to 1960, he was a family physician in Beersheba and Negev settlement clinics, and from 1961 to 1968, medical director of the Sick Fund (Kuppat Ḥolim Kelalit), Negev District, and the Negev Central Hospital, Beer-Sheba. During those years of mass immigration he organized community health services in the Negev region and promoted the aliyah of physicians from Latin American and other countries. He was co-founder of the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev and, in partnership with Moshe *Prywes, of its medical school. From 1968 to 1976 he was head of the Medical Division, Kuppat Ḥolim Kelalit, and deputy chairman. During these years he initiated the reorganization of Kuppat Ḥolim Kelalit health services, developed regionalization and integration of hospital and community services, developed the physician/nurse team in primary care, and introduced social work service within the framework of the health community structure. He was appointed professor of Community Medicine at Tel Aviv University and Ben-Gurion University of the Negev. From 1989 to 1996 he headed the School of Health Professions, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University. Doron contributed to the social and cultural process in Beer-Sheba and the Negev during the years of mass immigration and the renaissance of family medicine in Israel.
[Bracha Rager (2nd ed.)]