DEUTSCHER PALAESTINA-VEREIN , German society for the study of the Holy Land. It was founded by A. Socin, E. Kautzsch, and H. Guthe in 1877 on the model of the British Palestine Exploration Fund, its aim being the "advancement of the knowledge of the history of Palestine." The society, however, did not engage in excavations but concentrated on the publication of its journal, the Zeitschrift des deutschen Palaestina-Vereins. Many Jewish scholars contributed to the journal until 1933. Its publication stopped in 1943 and in the following year the archives and offices of the society were destroyed during the bombardment of Leipzig. From 1949 to 1951 it published the Beitraege zur biblischen Landes-und Altertumskunde. The society was reestablished at Bonn in 1952 and resumed the publication of its Zeitschrift. Its heads have included M. Noth, A. Kuschke, and K. Galling.