Żagań (zhä´gänyə), Ger. Sagan, town (1991 est. pop. 27,800), Lubuskie prov., W Poland, on the Bóbr River. It has lignite mines, textile mills, and glassmaking industries. Founded in the 12th cent., Żagań was the capital of a principality that passed to the Hapsburgs in the 16th cent. and to Prussia in 1745. The town was incorporated into Poland after World War II.