Kholmogory (khŭl´məgô´rē), village, NW European Russia, SE of Arkhangelsk and at the mouth of the Northern Dvina River. Known since 1355, Kholmogory was a major trade center for Novgorod merchants in the 15th and 16th cent. and became a shipping and cattle raising center in the 18th cent. Its significance declined with the rise of Arkhangelsk.
More From encyclopedia.com
Bukhara , Bukhara (bəkä´rə), city (1991 pop. 231,000), capital of Bukhara region, Uzbekistan, in the Zeravshan River valley. On the Shkhrud irrigation canal sy… Bruges , Bruges Bruges (brōōzh, Fr. brüzh) or Brugge (brŭ´gə, Du. brüpstr;khə), city (1991 pop. 117,063), capital of West Flanders prov., NW Belgium, connecte… Urals , Urals or Ural Mountains, E European Russia and NW Kazakhstan, forming, together with the Ural River, the traditional boundary between Europe and Asia… Vyborg , Vyborg (vĬ´bərk), Finnish Viipuri, Swed. Viborg, city (1989 pop. 81,000), NW European Russia, NW of St. Petersburg and near the Finnish border, on Vy… Volga , Volga Volga (vŏl´gə, Rus. vôl´gə), river, c.2,300 mi (3,700 km) long, central and E European Russia. It is the longest river of Europe and the princi… Eger , Eger (ĕ´gĕr), Ger. Erlau, city (1991 est. pop. 62,474), NE Hungary, on the Eger River. It is the commercial center of a wine-producing region and has…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
You Might Also Like