Elgin (town, Scotland)
Elgin, town (1991 pop. 18,702), Moray, NE Scotland, on the Lossie River. Lossiemouth is its port. Elgin is the market town for Moray's farm belt. Woolen textiles are manufactured, and scotch is distilled. Elgin became a religious authoritative locality in 1224, when Elgin Cathedral was founded. Called "the Lantern of the North," the cathedral was reputedly Scotland's finest piece of early Gothic architecture. Its ruins still stand. The ruins of Spynie Palace, seat of the bishops of Moray until the 17th cent., are nearby. Gordonstoun School, N of Elgin, was attended by Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and Charles, Prince of Wales.
"Elgin (town, Scotland)." The Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed.. . Encyclopedia.com. (April 23, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/reference/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/elgin-town-scotland
"Elgin (town, Scotland)." The Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed.. . Retrieved April 23, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/reference/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/elgin-town-scotland