Fort Stanwix, colonial outpost on the site of Rome, N.Y., controlling a principal route from the Hudson River to Lake Ontario. Originally a French trading center, it was rebuilt by the English general John Stanwix in 1758. The British colonial leader Sir William Johnson signed an important treaty with the Iroquois there in 1768. The fort fell into disrepair until early in the American Revolution, when it was rebuilt by the patriots and called Fort Schuyler. In 1777 (see Saratoga campaign) the fort was held against British and Tory forces until reinforcements under Benedict Arnold helped lift the siege. Fort Stanwix is a national monument (see National Parks and Monuments, table).
Fort Schuyler (skī´lər). 1 Name given during the American Revolution to the rebuilt Fort Stanwix, on the site of Rome, N.Y. 2 Fort built on the site of Utica, N.Y., in 1758. 3 Fort built (c.1856) as part of the defenses of New York harbor in Throgs Neck, N.Y. The fort is now in New York City on the grounds of the Maritime College of the State Univ. of New York and houses the Maritime Industry Museum.