Waterford, diocese of (diocese of Port Láirge).
Originally a Norse
city and thus an object of Anglo-Norman colonization of Ireland
, it was a suffragan see of Canterbury
from 1096, when Malchus, a monk of Winchester and later archbishop of Cashel
(1111–35), was consecrated by Lanfranc
. Waterford was first listed as a bishopric at the Council of Kells-Mellifont (1152), though there was no regular succession of bishops until 1175. As it was a royal town, from 1225 bishops tended to be Anglo-French. After long Irish and papal resistance, Lismore was merged with Waterford, as English influence spread. The bishopric was sometimes a reward for administrative service; Stephen Fulbourn, bishop (1274–86), was justiciar of Ireland (1281–8) and it was held by English bishops from then onwards. In the 1590s there was a Jesuit college in Waterford which sent boys to the continent for training. Waterford and Lismore is still a catholic bishopric in the province of Cashel, but the Anglican see was merged with the Cashel diocese in 1833.
Revd Dr William M. Marshall