Sherborne, diocese of

Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article Share Article
views updated

Sherborne, diocese of. The see, carved out of Winchester in 705 by King Ine for the oversight of all west Wessex, was further split in 909 by Edward the Elder; Sherborne retained Dorset, Devon and Cornwall went to Crediton, Somerset to Wells, and Wiltshire and Berkshire to Ramsbury. In 1058 Sherborne was reunited with Ramsbury and in 1075 the combined see was moved to Old Sarum (Salisbury). The superb fan vaulting in the Benedictine abbey church is 15th cent.

Revd Dr William M. Marshall