Audley End

views updated

Audley End (Essex) lies on the river Cam, near Saffron Walden. It was originally Walden abbey and passed at the dissolution of the monasteries to Lord Audley. It then descended to Lord Suffolk, who rebuilt from 1603 onwards. Only half of the original house survives, the rest having been pulled down in 1749. Robert Adam worked on the interior and built the bridge, and the gardens were landscaped by Capability Brown.

J. A. Cannon