Ware & van Brunt
Ware was appointed Professor and Head of the first US School of Architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1865) and later (1881) set up the School at Columbia, NYC, based on Beaux-Arts principles. He designed the American School of Classical Studies, Athens, Greece (1886–8), a scholarly essay of considerable distinction. Van Brunt continued to practise, taking Frank Howe (1849–1909) into partnership (1881), and moved (1887) the firm to Kansas, MO, from where they designed many railway-stations for the Union Pacific railroad (Ware and van Brunt's Union Station, Worcester, MA of 1873–5—destroyed—was an example). Their Electricity Building, World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago Il (1892–3), was firmly Classical in style.
Ware and van Brunt were committed to high standards of professionalism, and both were distinguished writers and critics. Van Brunt was the first to translate Viollet-le-Duc's Entretiens into English as Discourses on Architecture (1875–81), while Ware published several works, including Greek Ornament (1878) and The American Vignola (1901).
Coles (ed.) (1969);
The Crayon, vi (1859), 15–20;
Placzek (ed.) (1982);
Jane Turner (1996);
W. Rotch Ware (1866, 1878, 1900, 1912–13, 1977);
"Ware & van Brunt." A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture. . Encyclopedia.com. (August 18, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/ware-van-brunt
"Ware & van Brunt." A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture. . Retrieved August 18, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/ware-van-brunt