See also 81. CHURCH ; 183. GOD and GODS ; 349. RELIGION ; 359. SAINTS .
- Archaic. 1. the state or condition of being holy or sacred.
- 2. a holy or sacred place; a sanctuary.
- 3. a sacred object or relic.
- sacred writing or a sacred character or symbol. —hierogrammatist, n., —hierogrammatic, hierogrammatical, adj.
- Rare. sacred writing; hierograms and the art of writing them. —hierographer, n. —hierographic, hierographical, adj.
- the worship of saints and of relics and other sacred objects.
- 1. the learning or literature concerning sacred things.
- 2. hierological materials. —hierologist, n. —hierologic, hierological, adj.
- a form of divination involving sacrificial remains or sacred objects.
- an abnormal fear of sacred objects.
- 1. the performance of holy works.
- 2. the holy work itself.
- sanctum sanctorum
- the holy of holies; a place of great holiness.
More From encyclopedia.com
Sacred And Profane , In order to define and explain the paired concepts of sacred and profane, it is important to look at these concepts as developed in the influential w… sacred , sacred connected with God or a gods; deserving veneration. sacred cow an idea, custom or institution held, especially unreasonably, to be above criti… consecrate , con·se·crate / ˈkänsiˌkrāt/ • v. [tr.] (usu be consecrated) make or declare (something, typically a church) sacred; dedicate formally to a religious… Sacred Heart , Skip to main content Sacred Heart sanctuary , sanctuary •beery, bleary, cheery, dearie, dreary, Dun Laoghaire, eerie, eyrie (US aerie), Kashmiri, leery, peri, praemunire, query, smeary, teary, th… Holy , holy sacred (often in Christian phraseology). Holy City Jerusalem; (in Christian tradition) Heaven. Holy Cross Day the day on which the feast of the…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
You Might Also Like