Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, Sisters of the
SACRED HEARTS OF JESUS AND MARY, SISTERS OF THE
(SHJM, Official Catholic Directory #3680); originally known as the Chigwell Nuns in England, they stem from the Servantes du Sacré-Coeur de Jésus, a congregation founded in France in 1866 by Father Victor Braun (1825–82). In 1870, during the Franco-Prussian War, a group of sisters established the first English foundation at Stratford. The English community separated from France in 1903 and received papal approbation in 1924. The motherhouse (estab. 1896) is located at Chigwell, Essex, near London, in the Diocese of Brentwood. The work of the congregation includes education, healthcare, pastoral ministries, and counseling. The U.S. headquarters is in Oakland, CA.
Bibliography: d. devas, Chigwell (London 1928). f. frodl, Le Père Victor Braun (Paris 1937).