Holland, Henry

Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article Share Article
views updated

Holland, Henry (1745–1806). Leading English Georgian architect. He became the partner of Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown in 1771, whose daughter he married, and with whom he built Claremont House, Esher, Surrey (1771–4). He evolved an elegant Neo-Classical style to rival that of the Adams, as can be seen at Brooks's Club House, 60 St James's Street, London (1776–8). The success of this building made his name known in aristocratic circles, and he designed a number of pleasing country-houses, including Berrington Hall, near Leominster, Herefs. (1778–81); the remodelling of Woburn Abbey, Beds. (1787–1802), including the entrance portico (demolished), conservatory (later sculpture-gallery), and Chinese dairy; the remodelling of Althorp, Northants. (1787–9—including cladding the building with mathematical tiles); and alterations at Broadlands, Hants. (1788–92), and Southill, Beds. (1796–1800). His greatest work was probably the remodelling of Carlton House, Pall Mall, London (1783–96), including the Corinthian portico and Ionic screen (all demolished, 1827–8). He also designed The Albany, Piccadilly, London (1803–4).

Holland developed Hans Town, Chelsea, from 1771, including Sloane Street, Cadogan Place, and the polygonal Hans Place, but the fabric has been mostly redeveloped. As an architect he was influenced by French sources, notably Gondouin, Patte, and Peyre, but, unlike Chambers, he did use Greek elements in his designs.

Bibliography

Colvin (1995);
Stroud (1950, 1966);
Jane Turner (1996)