Giorgio di Martini, Francesco di

Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article Share Article
views updated

Giorgio di Martini, Francesco di (1439–1501/2). Sienese architect, theorist, and engineer. His architectural tracts of 1475–92 and his version of Vitruvius were influential in C16. He proposed a complete theory for Renaissance architecture based on that of Antiquity, argued for the placing of altars in centralized church-plans, gave a rational explanation of ecclesiastical symbolism, and invented fortifications that were a defence against gunfire. On moving to Urbino (1476) he contributed (possibly the refined loggia) to the design of the Palazzo Ducale (1476–82) and other works. In 1484 he designed Santa Maria della Grazie al Calcinaio, near Cortona (finished 1516), an accomplished harmonious Renaissance building; (probably) the Palazzo degli Anziani, Ancona (completed 1493—destroyed), and the severe Palazzo del Comune, Iesi (completed 1503). Many other buildings have been attributed to him, including Santo Spirito, Siena (1498–1509), which has a barrel-vault penetrated by lunettes, but his architectural career is not well documented. Vasari held him in high regard.

Bibliography

Croix (1972);
Frampton & Turner (1993);
Giorgio di Martini (1967);
Heydenreich (1996);
Papini (1946);
Rotondi (1950–1, 1970);
van Vynckt (ed.) (1993);
Weller (1943)